Monday, July 14, 2008

A day at the races

SORRY THE EDITING IS ALL OFF, BUT I'M TIRED OF TRYING TO FIX IT!!




Thanks to Billy Deric and I got a night on the town (well thanks to Billy and Deric's parents!) Billy got Nascar passes since he did a job at the Chicagoland speedway and Deric's parents did the babysitting so we could go!





I see it!





Not only did Billy have passes to get in, we got to park in the infield and he has passes to the pits AND the garages! Deric was chillin by the garages... I saw the grandstand behind him and snapped a quick picture.


















This is Jr's car. They were doing all the checks on it before they could bring it out on the track.
They passed the first round of checks ...and they brought it out of the garage to the second place they check them at. I was close enough to touch the car if I wanted to, but I kinda thought reaching out and touching it would be stupid. Why would someone want to? Does it have some sort of special powers?






This is Tony Eury Jr talking to the official, I wasn't paying attention but I guess the car didn't pass the second set of checks! Oops!














The weather had been awful! It was hot and steamy, and just miserable out all week. Lucky for us we caught a break and a storm had been rolling through so it wasn't too bad. We had to wear pants, close toed shoes, and shirts with sleeves, that wasn't too fun! I'm glad it wasn't worse out! There were a few rain drops here and there, we are glad it didn't stall the race.
















Deric saw this golf cart go by and wanted to go talk to them... can you tell who is on it? Don't worry, I couldn't either!









It was Ramblin' Ray, and Lisa Dent from US99 (a local country station). He was there doing the driver introductions and stuff. Deric had the nerve to tell them that I am not a huge country fan! Can you believe that, right to their faces!! They were very nice and we stood at the fence talking for a few minutes, even though I was a heathen! They even took a few pictures with Deric before getting on their way.
























**Warning pictures of me to come!!**





We were standing outside the driver area (where they had their buses and stuff) just killing time and to see who we would see, so I pulled out the camera and took a few pictures of us. Do you like our green background? That would be the dumpster I was leaning on. Gross I know! And when we would get a breeze from the wrong side, shew!!









I didn't take this one... my arms are long, but not this long!




















Jr's car finally made it past the checks and is finally out on the track













We settled in between the 3rd and 4th turn to watch the race, all the drivers were introduced (by Ramblin Ray) and got driven around the track in the back of pick up trucks.












One of the best parts was when the jets flew over!! THAT was AWESOME!











You could feel them as they went over






And we were bummed that they passed over so quickly.






But a minute later they scared the crap out of me flying over again! Literally *right* over our heads! They were so close I couldn't even get a picture of all four of them! You could feel your body shake as they went past, it was so awesome!










They left for real this time... I waited to see if they would come back, but they didn't.




















Jr is starting in the 2nd position! Here's hoping he does well! (FYI, it didn't help) :0(




















The race is about to start! The pace car leading the cars around the track.









It took a few tries to get this picture to turn out right! Do you know how hard it is to catch a car driving a million miles an hour beneath a flag pole and not be blurry?! The next pictures are just random pictures (mostly Jr) from the race, all the colors are real and not retouched! We had some awesome skys!

















See, I told you we were sitting really close!






















I took this one for you Billy, I thought it was fitting seeing the cars through the fence...














I think this is one of my favorites, the colors are amazing!!

This is the tunnel you drive through to get into the infield. I didn't realize from the outside that we were actually driving under the race track! I guess I could have put two and two together if I thought about it, but I didn't.










The spotters on top the vip seating area (the very top of the grandstands)












Jr's crew getting ready for a pit stop














Jr's car pulling in













Right at the end of the race someone blew their engine and caused a caution to come out the smoke was cool... but it let the guy we dispise win the race! Gurrr!










The smoke went halfway around the track














This is the guy we dispise burning rubber. We were tickled when he got stuck in the grass and had to be pushed out! *evil grin*











Time to go home... I climbed out the sunroof to take this picture. I would have taken a better one, but Deric kept swerving and hitting the brakes! What a dork!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Awesome pictures! Looks like a great time and I'm so glad that you and Derec got to go together, bonus! You have a great camera and you take some great shots! I'll have to get Matt on here to see all the pictures. Glad to read the family update as well, you all have been busy! Wish we could join you at the beach sometime!