Tuesday, September 09, 2008

We're Home!

Well we made it home almost a week ago. For whatever reason the trip really took it out of me, I have just been exhausted (and still am!) I think that is for a bunch of reasons.

We got the call Saturday afternoon. I had just pulled out all of my fall stuff to decorate the house and had a huge mess going on. I decided to ignore the pile of laundry calling my name and concentrate on decorating since I had the long weekend in front of me. Joan came over and helped me with my wreath and Haven and Reygann destroyed the closet played dress ups. I also ended up babysitting for a friend, we got the call right when she showed up to pick up her son.

Deric was working in the old side of the house leaning out the window talking to her when his cell rang. I saw it was his mom and answered it. She asked if Deric was there and her voice sounded shaky. I told him he had a phone call (I was trying to get my shoes on and over the baby gate to give it to him) but he didn't come. So I got a little firmer, and said something like Get over here you have a phone call! He was still taking his sweet time, and I think I said something a third time and by then I was over the gate and I leaned in and whispered that it was his mom and she sounded shaky. (After the fact he was like why didn't you tell me I would have come over right away! But I wasn't positive and I didn't want to be shouting it out if it wasn't true.)

Anyways, they were in an accident with a 4 wheeler, thankfully they didn't collide so the damage would have been much worse if they did. I guess the 4 wheeler was going the same direction they were (on the side of the road) and they came down a hill and the 4 wheeler turned right in front of them! Papaw went to the right (we are guessing, he can't remember) and ended up laying the bike down (for you that don't know motorcycle lingo that means he basically skidded when he was trying to stop, that made the back tire slide out (to the right in this case) which made the bike go down. Mamaw still doesn't remember all the details (would you want to? I don't remember all them from our accident), but they went down on the left side and something must have landed on her left arm because they found out later that it was broken. Papaws left ribs are broken and his face is scraped up (mostly on the left, but the right side got it too), he was knocked unconscious when they went down and had a medium to severe concussion. They both had random spots of road rash and thankfully they were both wearing full leathers! (They hadn't been wearing them, but the temperature dropped and they pulled over and put them all on, chaps, coats, gloves, and a helmet for Mamaw, not sure why Papaw didn't put his on though... ) Unfortunately the medics cut off their coats, ouch!

...we went into 'what do we have to do' mode. I got busy calling around trying to find someone to make an emergency pair of glasses for Papaw since his were ruined in the crash and he can't see a thing with out them, and Deric called the sheriffs office and talked to the guy that was at the accident. We realized that we were going to have to find someway to get them and their stuff home and that meant more phone calls trying to find someone with a trailer big enough for their bike and trailer. I realized pretty soon on that we would be driving up there (Deric thought about flying out and riding the bike home) and quickly got busy stashing my fall stuff out of the reach of the kids and doing some laundry so the kids will have clean clothes and our bed would have clean sheets for mom. Then I called mom to ask her to watch the kids. Poor mom (and dad) were already with Kylie and Harrison, they had them overnight for a special treat and were ready to send them home and relax! I kinda changed that when I called and told them what happened!

We ended up getting a late start and pulled out around 7:30. We stopped to pick up the trailer we had borrowed and had to empty some stuff out of it and check a few things and find the spare tire. That ended up taking longer than we thought, we blew the breaker in their barn 2 times (and I ended up cracking my leg on something in the dark and have a killer bruise/sore spot!) while trying to fill up the tires and such. We pulled out of there at 9:00 and were on the road for real this time. We realized that we hadn't had dinner (or lunch) yet and grabbed something on our way. We drove till 2am and pulled over in a rest stop (our only rest stop stop) and took a 4 hour nap in the car. Sleeping in the front of the car wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I thought it would be! We were up by 6 and back on the road soon as we pottied up. Then we drove and drove and drove! We only stopped for gas and went potty then to save time. We got breakfast when we had to get gas one time, but that was it. Deric didn't want to stop for lunch or dinner! We borrowed my dads garmin and that was nice! It was a little depressing though, at one point she said 'turn right in 567 miles'!! That is a long time!

We made it though, I think we got to the hospital just after 9pm. The hospital is it's own story! It was a small town and the hospital was half hospital half hospice/nursing home! It had quite the stench, and Deric almost lost his lunch from the smell in there! I won't even tell you about how I got locked out of the hospital and ended up locked in the other side! Talk about freaky!! *shudder*

We checked his parents out and heard from them what happened and stuff and eventually left to find a hotel for the night. It had been a long day and we crashed we knew we had a few more long days in front of us. We woke up fairly early and went to pick up the bike and trailer from the junk yard. Let me tell you, it was COLD!! I think it was about 52, and the day before had been 102! That is crazy! Anyways we are out in the junk yard trying to figure out how we are going to get everything in the trailer, (I'm in flip flops! I think I almost lost a toe from frost bite!) The bike must have been left in the on position because it was dead and I had to push it up into the trailer while Deric 'rode' it. It took a lot longer to load it and get it tied down and stuff than I thought. We were quite impressed with how good it looked. Ours got pretty beat up (we also were hit by a truck!), and theirs was just scraped up nothing too drastic.

Once we were finally loaded we were off to the hospital to see if Mamaw and Papaw had been released yet. A little bit later they were free to leave and we were on our way once again. Poor Papaw kept having muscle spasms and that was the worst for him! We had him drugged up pretty good, but still... Papaw had the front seat, Mamaw had the middle row, and I sat in the way, way back so could lay his chair down if he wanted to. We drove and made it to Sioux Falls, SD before stopping for the night. We tried to get a good nights sleep, but lets just say Papaw didn't sleep too well so none of us did. It was ok though. It was pretty funny at times. Laying in the bed wasn't working for him it was just too painful. So about 4am we were all up trying to move him around. We ended up shoving the luggage rack under a chair so it tipped back against the wall (kinda like a reclined position) and we took a drawer out of the dresser to put his feet on! That did ok for a few hours then we were up and on the road again. I was still in the way, way back so I didn't really take many pictures on the way home. The middle windows were tinted and the way, way back ones had little lines on them, I tried taking some out the front, but we were driving too fast and they ended up blurry.

I don't remember what time we got home, but I'm thinking it was around 9-9:30. We dropped his parents off at their house and got their stuff out of the car for them and tried to get them situated best we could. We were glad to be home! We both had to work the next day and we were beat! Kylie couldn't take it, she missed us and broke down right before we got home and cried and cried (even after we were back!) She kept telling us she didn't want us to go and she didn't want to go to school! Poor child was distressed.

We still feel like we are 'recovering' at least I do! The night after we got home, both girls had their first Awana meeting of the year (pictures to come someday...) and I had a bridal shower to go to. I was going skip it, but it was at a restaurant and I didn't want to screw them by not showing after I said I would. Thursday and Friday Kylie had school and are a blur! Actually so it just about every day between now and then! I finally feel like I am getting back on track, I pulled my fall stuff back out and finished decorating, I finished the family album page Kylie needed for school that is due tomorrow, I worked on their Awana books... I still have a lot to do and I am still beat, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I work tomorrow (Wednesday), and the girls have Awanas again... and then another early day for school... *sigh*

*~* WARNING *~* There are a LOT of pictures to follow!
*~* WARNING *~* There are a lot of hay field pictures too!
*~* WARNING *~* There are a few pictures of Papaw that are a little gooey looking, they aren't that bad, but I thought I would warn you anyways!


sleeping at the truck stop

We stopped at this 24 hour gas place and this sign made me laugh! Sorry ladies, you aren't welcome!

This is a 'becca inspired shot (I hope you don't have copy rights on it!) We were up and on the road before the sun was up.

I took over driving and Deric took a nap, sorry the focus is off, it was hard to take while driving!

I might as well have one of me too! Look at me, not showered slept in the car, and taking my own picture!

We saw a lot of sunflower fields

Some huge lake/river a little freaky, it seems like you are going to drive right into it. I was coasting at about 80 (I was picking up speed going down hill!) and had to turn at the bottom. And lets not forget that I am towing a trailer behind me!

Here is one of the hay fields I was warning you about...


It was really had to take pictures while driving!







We had some clouds coming in...


must be getting bored, I'm taking pictures of myself!

an attempt and one of the two of us

umm, that's a little better

checking in

sniff, sniff this is one of the Sturgis exits

I thought I would try my own version of the 'becca shot... (it's the rear view mirror)


I had been waiting the whold trip to see the odometer full of 7's and I missed it!!! Gurrr!

I hurried up and quicky tried to snap a picture of the Wyoming sign since it was our first time in Wyoming. Deric then told me that it wasn't our first time, we had been there before!


Then those clouds turned into rain, lots of rain!

We still have a ways to go

I basically missed this one! The bottom says Buffalo __ many miles. It was a light at the end of the road trip tunnel!

It continued to rain. It was somewhere in this stretch we hydroplaned and went a little too close to going off the road!



Deric kept spotting these little buggars everywhere

Aww, a little tiny rainbow!





Getting a little worried we would have enough gas to make it to the exit... We saw a sign that said no amenities for __ miles. We were low in gas, but Deric thought that mean rest stops and stuff... apparently it meant gas too!


I caught it 200 miles too late! (and holy cow, this needs to be washed!)

The Big Horn Mountains


Finally an exit sign!

We only have .1 of a mile left to our exit...

...and my fuel light came on! Good timing!

We made it!!!!

See not too bad looking
On our way to the junk yard to get the bike

You can hardly tell there is anything wrong from these pictures

It was a tight squeeze and we put some clothes bewteen the bike and trailer so they wouldn't rub on each other.

Finally discharged! We are ready to go!
I was trying to take Deric's picture in the mirror, he caught me and kept ducking! I finally caught him here laughing at me.


Looks like more rain... and it was. It rained on and off all day, it was cold too!







I took these pictures at a gas stop, I send some to Deric's sister so they could see how he looked. It is kinda gooey looking if you look closer (I told you they weren't that bad!)


Checking to make sure everything is alright, both of them.
South Dakota has these signs all over the place. I think they put them up wherever there is a fatal accident. This is the front...
...and the back. (It says X marks the spot at the top)
I tried to turn off my flash so I wouldn't get the glare. It didn't work, but this is pretty cool!
Our last day I finally saw a starbucks and since we were pulling out of town (we didn't have to get off the highway) we got to stop!!!

Yes, it rained again! But we got this rainbow that went all the way over the car!
out the sunroof
and down the other side
Ahhh, back at home!
I tried to take a picture when we were pulling out, I forgot it was on manual focus so it is blurry and Deric wouldn't let me retake it because the flash almost killed him!
We brought the kids over Saturday night (I think), aren't they looking better already?
Papaw is feeling a little better and moving around pretty good on his own. Mamaw found out that she needs surgery on her arm and is getting a plate and screws in it tomorrow (Wednesday). So you can pray that goes well and that it doesn't hurt too badly after and for continued healing for both of them. Shew! Now I am going to bed!!

4 comments:

jodes said...

Wow - what an informative post! Remember when you first started blogging and said you wouldn't talk much... ha!

For no shower and sleeping in the car you looked good!!

You took some really awesome pictures - even got one of the creek that was named after you...very cool!

Looks like you and Deric had fun together, despite the reason for the trip. :o)

Papaw looks pretty rough. :o(

. said...

I told you there was a lot! That is why it was taking me so long to get to posting about our trip!

I thought I didn't look horrible! I did wash my face in a gas station bathroom later that day, I just couldn't stand it any longer!

Not only was there a creek named after me there was a liquor store too, but I didn't get a picture of that one.

We did have fun, and we were both excited about the trip. We haven't been on vacation since 2002!!

Michelle said...

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info. We'll keep praying for healing to take place! No wonder you're exhausted! I got tired just thinking about taking a trip like that! I hate long car trips and Derec didn't even let you stop! :) You're a trooper!!! At least you got to go to one Starbucks! :) You are an amazing girl! I'm proud of you and will be praying that you feel better and rested and caught up soon!

'becca said...

A+ for driving photos, Julie! love, love, love the one in the side view mirror. :) and i think the huge lake/river is as you're coming into chamberlain, south dakota. i LOVE that lake. because there's nothing going on ... and then BAM! there's water.

so crazy we were so close to each other when we were miles & miles away from home.

glad everyone made it home safely!